Sign-up for our listserv!
Sign Up for the GW LGBT Health Policy & Practice Program Listserv for up to date information on the program.
LGBT Health Policy & Practice Program
First of Its Kind in Applied Health
GW's LGBT Health Policy & Practice Program is the first practice-focused, interdisciplinary graduate certificate in the nation that trains current and future health care leaders and policy advocates on issues relating to the health and well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
Administered by the Professional Psychology Program, our innovative certificate addresses challenges resulting from health care disparities and focuses on strategies to move toward a more inclusive, equitable society. The one-year, 12-credit on-campus/online hybrid curriculum includes contemporary topics such as transgender care and marriage equality that cut across psychological, medical, legal and public policy fields.
Our program is designed specifically for those who are, or who will be, working on the front lines. Students come from a variety of backgrounds, including medical and mental health care, social work and education. We provide ample opportunities to meet and study with leaders in policy and practice from the government, academia, nonprofits and the for-profit private sector.
To apply for this program, visit the how to apply page.
The Class of 2013-14 visit to the White House during the spring residency
- Career-centric focus on applied care, both clinical and administrative
- Completion in less than one year
- Hybrid online and on-campus curriculum model that accommodates global candidates as well as working professionals
- On-campus residencies that take place once in the summer and again in the spring of the program year
- Capstone projects that enable students to interact with current or future employers
- Multidisciplinary faculty from GW and other top-level institutions
- Prominent guest faculty from the health care and policy fields
- Networking opportunities with professionals and health organizations
- Diverse student body from a wide range of ethnic, religious, cultural and professional backgrounds.